Despite the fact that I have no friends my own age here in Houston, I am blessed to have some neighbors that have become very close friends. They have helped me out in a pinch, given me advice about anything and everything, constantly look out for me, and have invited me into their lives. I'm so blessed.
I have lived here, there and everywhere and have had to learn how to make friends in new places where I didn't know but a few people. It's hard. Sometimes, given the city you're in, it can be even harder. I only made one friend in Baltimore, MD, and that wasn't even someone I would honestly consider a friend. She was more like a friendly acquaintance. I lived in Baltimore for a year and that was long enough for me. Other than blue crabs I never really found anything to like about living there.
When I was 21 I moved just outside of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. I had been talked into going to a college there by a few of my friends who were attending. So, with my Associates Degree in hand I set off to finish my education in another land unknown. I guess I just had this idea in my head that you could move anywhere and just settle in and make friends by osmosis or something. Reality was a bit different.
I believe every city has a personality, and Philadelphia's was one that I had never really expected. It was seemingly impenetrable. I spent the first year diving into school and stumbling from church to church looking for people to be friends with. I was friendly...I thought. Why wasn't I making any friends? After becoming pretty depressed about it I finally had a breakthrough. I decided to write down everything I had been doing at church before I moved out there and what I had been doing since. The difference between the lists showed me exactly why I was so depressed. They looked nothing alike.
I could have spent the better part of my life waiting for someone to say hi to me after I slipped into the back pew every Sunday at church. I just wasn't willing to wait that long anymore. So, I moved myself up closer to the front of the church, and made sure I showed up early enough to shake hands during the greeting part of the service.
A call went out for new choir members. I was in. I had to do something, and I could sing. I'd been doing it all my life, so why not? Somehow I got introduced to the pastor's wife, who was the choir director. That same conversation turned into meeting about 5 new people, who all started asking me questions about who I was and asking me if I wanted to do anything else. Kids. So within about a half an hour I was on my way to the process for being involved in the children's ministry. Did this really just happen? It was like someone turned the switch to "on" saying it was a green light to talk to this "new" girl. I went from being a back-pew nobody to being involved in everything I loved...all in one day.
Sometimes I really have to force myself out of my comfort zone to talk to someone new. It's not always the most comfortable thing. But like I said before, you can wait your whole life waiting for other people to take the initiative, or you could suck it up and do it yourself and see what happens. You might find yourself surprised at the results. I was.
Despite it's hard shell, Philadelphia turned out to be my second home. The friends I made there became like family, and the relationships some of the most fulfilling I still have in my life. In my 6 years living there, I not only made friends, I made honorary family. What more could a person ask for? My life would've been totally different now had these people not been a part of my life.
Now with this next step in life taking me to yet another new city, I'm faced with the reality that I will yet again need to put myself out there and start the process of making more new friends. Making friends is not always easy. Sometimes you strike out. Some people are just a little too crazy! Some people seem to suck the very life from your soul. But sometimes you strike gold, and meet amazing people! They make you a better person, and in turn, you have people to pour your love and energy into. Friends jure make life more enjoyable (and endurable).
Here's to my friends, and to the prospect of adding more to the brood!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
- Marci DeHaan
- It is my joy to write. All of my blogs have a special meaning to me, and allow me an outlet to express every side of myself. I like to write like I think, a scatterbrained mess of ideas and emotions that somehow spill out into totally relatable stories for others to share in. That is my life. Please enjoy my blogs and writings. They range anywhere from cynical posts about singleness, to nurturing, important posts to young women, to every kind of life moment and stories about being human. My favorite catch phrase is "still practicing", which is on almost all of my posts. Why? Because I am...still practicing at writing, at being a better, more well-rounded person, and at life in general. I hope to always be practicing. Happy reading! :)
Marci, this was wonderful! You're the last person I'd ever expect to see sitting in the back pew. You were the first person I met at church (other than Scot, who invited me there)... I can still hear him saying, "Look for Marci. She loves new people!! And so I did. And he was right... I was touched by your warm and welcoming nature, and the way you took me under your wing when I was feeling like a fish out of water. There's a lot more I could say, but I don't want to hog your blog, so I'll just sum it up by saying that you are gold yourself, and you get an A++ in the friend department.
ReplyDeleteI love it that you make lists, Marci! I am a compulsive list-maker myself, being part of the Post-It-Note generation. Analyzing what worked (and didn't) was a great idea for you to change your friend situation. You have developed amazing people skills. I am looking forward to seeing what (and who?) else God puts in your life...Micki
ReplyDeleteHey Marci-
ReplyDeleteYour Philly family has been blessed to have been able to know you. LeighAnn and I still talk about how she sneezed her front tooth out in Sunday School. We sure do miss seeing you. Wish you were moving back to Philly. Love ya- Robyn