I'm starting to feel the time crunch. Unfortunately, my body is feeling the crunch too. This seems to always happen. It annoys the crap out of me, but hey, what can ya do?
This is my last week of work at the grocery store and I am so happy about it! I enjoy being a cashier. It's not my life goal or anything, but it was a way to test the waters of working after so long of being unemployed. At least I know now that I am able to work. Unfortunately, standing on my feet for multiple hours is not going to work for me, so it's a matter of finding the right KIND of work. That's the next goal.
My move to Arizona is coming up shortly, and I'm trying to take this all in stride and do what I can to get ready. I've been packing for a long time now, so a lot of my stuff this week is packing those things I use more often, like pots and pan, dishes and glasses, etc. It's the stuff you use really often that gets packed last, and usually at the last possible minute.
My body is hanging on by a thread at the moment. Pain is heightened more than normal, making packing and all of that way more difficult. I know part of it has to do with the huge storm front that moved through our area today. My body has become some what of an active barometer. I can usually tell when rain is on it's way, or when a front is moving across the area, changing the pressure levels. Pretty crazy, but it's something that you get used to over time and helps you understand why your body is reacting the way it is. It doesn't make the pain better, it just helps you deal with it, knowing that it's temporary and you should soon be feeling better. One great thing about living in Houston is that the bad weather moves through rather quickly.
While I have somewhat of a plan as to what I'm doing as I make my way to Arizona, I still have yet to set an itinerary, or even schedule the moving truck. Part of me is not concerned, as I don't have a schedule, I don't have to be in town by a certain day, or move in by a certain time. The other part of me...the Type A side...is totally freaking out that I don't have a solid plan, accounting for all possible catastrophies, and planning out every possible contingency plan. I think part of it too, is that I'm older now, and flying by the seat of your pants at this age is considered irresponsible. I'm pretty sure most people think I'm crazy, and the few that don't are telling me I'm brave and an inspiration. I haven't really thought about anyone else's opinion, just knowing that if I don't make this move now I'll never do it and would regret it forever.
I have no idea if Arizona is where I will live the rest of my life. I don't plan that far ahead. I learned a long time ago that planning things too far ahead of time only leads to having those plans totally fall to pieces. It's not that there is some cosmic black cloud over making plans. I'm not supersticious about making plans. I'm just saying that I'm not a person with a 10-year plan that looks like a retirement portfolio. Call me irresponsible. I just don't care.
I have an idea of what I'd like my life to look like...actually just a few things IN my life. But mostly, I'd like to keep myself open to the possibilities that God has for me in life. I've always felt that way. I'm still learning (and probably always will be) how to find the balance between planning and freedom.
So my trip to Arizona is a mixture of both planning and freedom. My plan is to visit apartments the areas surrounding those apartments that I have narrowed down, in both Phoenix and Tucson, to see which apartment, and which city I like the best. I'll be spending close to a week in each place, and have friends that I will be visiting, as well as going camping with my dogs, out in the great outdoors surrounding both cities. To some of my family, I am becoming the equivalent of a homeless person. I guess you could say that...if you call two weeks of freedom being homeless. It's amazing how far away from "freedom" we have become.
We are so used to our pay the rent/mortgage, lock our doors at night, only go out when we have to lifestyles that we've lost the enjoyment of saying, "Hey, I'd like to spend the night out under the stars." It may be out of fear, worrying if there will be wild animals, strangers, or lack of electricity, that we live safely and without adventure.
The last six (almost seven) years of my life have been hard, physically, emotionally, mentally. From the day of my car accident I have been trying to survive, but have felt parts of me begin to slip away into the darkness. I chose to pick myself up and try to move on the best way I know how. I might not do it the right way, but I will try...and keep trying.
That's what this whole move is about...
So this week is a busy week of work, and then I can finish up my last bit of packing and head off on this new adventure. With fear in one hand and excitement in the other I embark on my adventure!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
- Marci DeHaan
- It is my joy to write. All of my blogs have a special meaning to me, and allow me an outlet to express every side of myself. I like to write like I think, a scatterbrained mess of ideas and emotions that somehow spill out into totally relatable stories for others to share in. That is my life. Please enjoy my blogs and writings. They range anywhere from cynical posts about singleness, to nurturing, important posts to young women, to every kind of life moment and stories about being human. My favorite catch phrase is "still practicing", which is on almost all of my posts. Why? Because I am...still practicing at writing, at being a better, more well-rounded person, and at life in general. I hope to always be practicing. Happy reading! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment