When I was in my senior year of high school my grandpa sent me to Arizona for my spring break. He had an ulterior motive, and didn't do a good job of hiding it! He sent me to stay with my aunt in Flagstaff. I went to the Grand Canyon, Slide Rock, and Sedona, and got to go to class with my aunt at Northern Arizona University. Of course his dream for me was to move out there, stay with my aunt, and go to that school. Not to mention the fact that he was starting to consider the idea of wintering in Arizona himself. The idea of being able to visit family while there was definitely appealing.
I, of course, had other plans. Well, not really other plans. I didn't have any plans per say. I just had grandiose dreams of going to England and studying at an American university there, studying business. What did I know?! Despite the fact that I had absolutely no idea what I was going to do, I wasn't going to let anyone else tell me what they thought I should be doing. Not very smart, but that's the way it was.
So I decided that Grandpa's idea for my future wasn't what I wanted and set out on a path of wandering around aimlessly through school for the next several years, changing my major a few times and racking up school loans. Again, not very smart.
My grandpa started spending his winters in Mesa, Arizona, and enjoying every minute of it. He had severe arthritis, and the desert heat and low humidity helped those achy bones survive the winters. Michigan wasn't the place for someone in pain (as I have grown to learn myself). He never made me feel guilty for not following his ideas for college and life in AZ, nor did he really ever talk about it much. But he did talk about me visiting, and shared stories of his winter adventures in the desert.
My brother actually made it out to Phoenix before I did, and got to enjoy being spoiled by my grandpa during his winter there. Grandpa loved spoiling us kids, and did the same with my brother. I was secretly jealous, but happy that at least one of his grandkids had the chance to spend time with him in AZ.
My grandpa passed away a year and a half ago. I was thinking about him today as I was planning out my trip and plotting a couple of apartment searches in Mesa, close to where he lived. I think he would've been really excited that I am moving to Arizona. He would have enjoyed spoiling me. He always did. I'm sure this time would have been no different.
I'm sad that I won't be able to spend time with him. I'm sad that I won't be able to enjoy Arizona with him. I laugh as I look at my itinerary, and think to myself, "Gee, it only took you 15 years to get here Marci. Guess you should've listened to Grandpa in the first place!" He would've found that funny too.
I love you Grandpa and miss you so much. Wish you could see me now. But then again...maybe you can!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
- Marci DeHaan
- It is my joy to write. All of my blogs have a special meaning to me, and allow me an outlet to express every side of myself. I like to write like I think, a scatterbrained mess of ideas and emotions that somehow spill out into totally relatable stories for others to share in. That is my life. Please enjoy my blogs and writings. They range anywhere from cynical posts about singleness, to nurturing, important posts to young women, to every kind of life moment and stories about being human. My favorite catch phrase is "still practicing", which is on almost all of my posts. Why? Because I am...still practicing at writing, at being a better, more well-rounded person, and at life in general. I hope to always be practicing. Happy reading! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment