I went to a Diamondbacks baseball game the other night, which included fireworks and a concert from The David Crowder Band. I went with a large group of friends from the singles group that I attend. It was a lot of fun watching the game, catching up with friends, eating hot dogs and a couple handfuls of cotton candy. What a great weeks end!
I had never had the opportunity to hear The David Crowder Band in person, but am a fan of their music, so I was excited to be able to go to this concert. I dig his style, and his sold out lyrics and music, praising Jesus through worship and a good 'ole country hoedown.
As I was sitting there in the stands, listening to beautiful music on an absolutely gorgeous night, I looked over to to see a young girl, maybe 8 or 9 years old, hands in the air, singing along and praising Jesus.
A general definition given to the term "reckless abandon" is this: "To do or say something without regards for the consequences". Children have this down pat! The older we get, the more we lose that innocent, childlike faith. Children can see things we adults cannot, because for the most part they are untainted by the world around them. They have imaginations that run wild, and trust far easier than adults who have experienced hurts and lies from people they were meant to trust.
Matthew 19:13-14 shares a tiny blip about a few parents bringing their children to Jesus, and being shewed away by his disciples. Almost as if they were annoyed with these people for bringing their children to Jesus, when he had so many other important things he could be doing. Jesus was a busy guy. He didn't have time for these kids. What do they need from him anyways? There are tons of hurting people out here all wanting him to save them, help them, heal them. Surely these children didn't have these kinds of urgent matters to attend to.
But Jesus corrects his disciples, "Let the children come to me. Don't stop them! For the Kingdom of Heaven belongs to those who are like these children." Childlike faith. Reckless abandon.
Scripture is littered with examples of people forsaking all for Christ, and yet it took me forever to feel comfortable raising my hands in worship, IN CHURCH! The place where I am among fellow believers, and I am worried about what THEY think instead of worshiping God with everything I have, and no regard for anything else.
This little girl, who I watched as she sang and waved her hands in the air, unconcerned with who was watching or what anyone else thought of her, reminded me of the childlike sincerity that God desires from each of his children. We have an audience of One!
It made me smile, watching this little Jesus-worshiper, and knowing that God was smiling too, as this child, in reckless abandon, let her soul free in worship. :) What an example!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
- Marci DeHaan
- It is my joy to write. All of my blogs have a special meaning to me, and allow me an outlet to express every side of myself. I like to write like I think, a scatterbrained mess of ideas and emotions that somehow spill out into totally relatable stories for others to share in. That is my life. Please enjoy my blogs and writings. They range anywhere from cynical posts about singleness, to nurturing, important posts to young women, to every kind of life moment and stories about being human. My favorite catch phrase is "still practicing", which is on almost all of my posts. Why? Because I am...still practicing at writing, at being a better, more well-rounded person, and at life in general. I hope to always be practicing. Happy reading! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment